Philanthropy doesn’t stand still. Pressing issues and seismic political, economic, and technological shifts move us to regularly revisit and renew how we work.
Urgency, passion, inquisitiveness, and a desire to engage is driving a number of lean funders (those with few or no staff) to center their giving around authentic relationships with grantees and members of their community. This type of creative catalytic philanthropy sets them apart.
- Where foundations typically get information from proposals and site visits, these funders educate and inform themselves before making grants.
- Where foundations typically distance themselves from grantees and members of the community through elaborate application processes, these funders invite conversations, nurture relationships, and seek new ideas and feedback from these stakeholders.
- Where foundations typically emphasize grants and dollars, these funders leverage powerful assets such as knowledge, connections, reputation, access, influence, and the freedom to take on difficult or controversial issues to give beyond dollars.
- Where funders typically operate on a short-term, year-by-year cycle, these funders commit themselves to an issue for years or even decades.
Inspired by these deeply engaged funders, Exponent Philanthropy is championing creative, catalytic philanthropy as a way to achieve true outsized impact. Lean funders are perfectly positioned to embrace these practices, as they have deep ties to their communities, operate with less bureaucracy, can respond to emerging opportunities quickly, and are able to focus in a laser-like way.
We invite foundations and donors to join this movement, and embrace these practices:
- Focus on one or two issues or a community.
- Develop a common understanding of what you want to accomplish
- Listen deeply and learn from grantees, members of the community and diverse experts
- Understand the ecosystem of your chosen issue or community
- Identify gaps, needs, and leverage points for change
- Commit to a course of action for multiple years
- Develop relationships with grantees and members of the community to build trust
- Respect and rely on the experience and wisdom of grantees
As you immerse yourself in these practices, you’ll see the potential to have an impact at a larger systems level. You’ll raise your sights and think big, awakening your imagination and sense of what’s possible. Actions that appeared risky—convening, collaboration, and advocacy—will become logical, natural steps in your quest for impact. As your work unfolds, you’ll move from grant giver to active catalyst for change.
This transformative journey will prepare and position you for powerful work, including:
Strengthening organizations and communities
- Provide the flexible, long-term support nonprofits need
- Build the capacity and leadership of nonprofits and networks
- Support community organizing
Advancing equity and inclusion
- Support small, dynamic grassroots organizations
- Nurture and support leaders of color
- Engage grantees and members of the community in decisions
Convening and connecting
- Gather grantees, nonprofits, government agencies, business leaders, educators, and others to generate solutions together
- Mobilize diverse partners around an issue to develop action plans, coordinate efforts, and build collective will
- Leverage your relationships to serve as a community broker and matchmaker
Nurturing creativity and innovation
- See patterns and connections among disparate events, groups, and issues to identify new solutions and ideas
- Provide seed funding for promising ideas and cutting-edge entrepreneurs
- Develop talent, leadership, and human potential
Influencing policy and building civic participation
- Speak out to focus attention on urgent issues
- Fund and disseminate research for policy change
- Promote civic education, participation and voter engagement
- Elevate the voices of those who are voiceless in the policy arena
- Catalyze reforming antiquated, ineffective systems
When lean funders, like you, embrace their unique abilities to learn, nurture relationships, and bring people together, they become powerful change-makers. Your path to bold, creative, catalytic philanthropy can start today with the most humble of acts—listening.
Wherever you are in your journey, Exponent Philanthropy is a community here to help you each step of the way.