Ways to let the public know you give grants
Here are some ideas for foundations—new or well-established—looking to expand program areas or grantseeker pools:
- Distribute your mission and guidelines on your website or at local nonprofit events.
- Talk with other foundations that have similar program interests. They can sometimes refer grantees to you.
- Ask if your regional association of grantmakers publishes a directory of funders.
- Notify the Foundation Center and GuideStar of your mission, guidelines, and recent grants, and update your entries, as necessary.
- Invite nonprofits to meet with you to describe their programs.
- Issue a request for proposals, which outlines your vision for a project and solicits appropriate organizations to apply. You can mail your request for proposals to nonprofit organizations in your community or advertise it in a newspaper or online.
- Host “meet the foundation” events that allow potential grantees to learn about your interests and ask questions.