It’s December and your foundation wants to fulfill its payout requirement within the calendar year. What can you do?
Tips for meeting your payout requirement:
- Ask your local community foundation, association of grantmakers, or giving circles for information about community needs and nonprofits they support.
- Consult with members of the faith community.
- Ask your government social services agencies, United Way, or other federated campaigns for recommendations of nongovernmental, nonprofit agencies with whom they work.
- Ask at your workplace. Does your employer have a matching grants program or a corporate foundation?
For trustees with discretionary grant dollars, here are additional ideas for efficient spending at year’s end:
- Fund a declined grant that you believe in
- Look for an opportunity to respond to emergency needs in your community (e.g., short-term cash flow problems, greater needs during the winter months)
- Give to a natural disaster relief fund
- Give to an alumni association
- Contribute to summer camp tuition for low- and moderate-income children (e.g., YMCA, YWCA, The Fresh Air Fund)
- Make online donations (a particularly useful strategy for international giving)
- Give to holiday food programs or food baskets
- Open a certificate of deposit, or CD, at a community development bank